Saturday, April 17, 2010

Keeping you Updated! Kevin Hart

So I got the opportunity to shoot Kevin Hart for Be-entertained magazine on Thursday 4/15 and the shoot went well, he was making everyone cry laughing so hard, which was a first at a shoot I was having a hard time staying serious.

Whatever the case, me personally i've always wanted to understand comedy more. How it works, how do you put a set together, what are you thinking as a comedian, more over as a human being etc...but never could get an "insiders" perspective on it, so beyond the jokes that Kevin would throw out I was listening for more.

After we did our shoot, he sat down with the magazine and had an interview and i can't exactly remember the line of questions but Kevin responds by saying something to the effect of:

I was a jerk when I use to get on stage, I'd get up there not really knowing what i
was doing at all etc... but eventually I realized that i was responsible for everyones
night.

Ok so everyone that reads this may think I'm just trying to be deep when the situation isn't! But that meant something to me. I never considered what a comedian did in that light, but its true. You know why you would go see a comedian or a music artist or whoever/whatever and that individual, that production is responsible for the caliber of your night.


Ok fast forward, I showed him the pictures, he was digging them and asked if i'd be interested in coming to his show he had that night at Uptown Comedy Corner and getting some action shots. I thought free show + free laughs+ picture taking= Fun, so I said sure.

So, get through the show and let me tell you it was just pure funny!



But another one of those moments happened. After he got off stage I went to the back to just catch some documentary style shots of him with all his friends or greeters


and when most of them leave, Kevin stops and begins discussing his set with a fellow comedian asking the gentleman what he thought of the show, should he have dug deeper etc, based off of the content that Kevin was speaking about. What blew me away was just how intellectual the discourse was about what seemed like an easy task to just get up and make people laugh.

Now, without saying too much, Kevin Harts stand up is very personal, he speaks about his family and turns his actual life occurrences into laughs. So when Kevin and the other gentleman had there discussion and the man tells Kevin to pull out more of the redeeming qualities of a family member, it was another one of those moments where I'm like, Man! Didn't even think about it like that, but again its true.

Guess all I'm really saying is, its always interesting to see a deeper side of something you admire from a distance.




No comments: